29 December 2012

Inspired by...

Dan Eldon



Years ago I read about Dan Eldon and his short lived but remarkable life.


I purchased books about his journals that his mother lovingly reproduced in order to inspire others about his life and the stories he was telling.




He was an artist and English photo journalist, adventurer and activist. The incredibly talented Dan left a legacy and a powerful humanitarian spirit that can be seen in the many art journals he made.




Eldon, who kept these journals from the time he was a teenager, was killed in Mogadishu, Somalia, in the summer of 1993. 



He was twenty-three years old.

You can view his journals here

Wishing you all a happy new year.

xo

10 comments:

A bird in the hand said...

Happy New Year, Judy. I hope you'll blog more often... I miss you. xx

Lynn Cohen said...

Sad story... Awesome collection, bless his dear mother for sharing them. Thanks for sharing.

Judy said...

Thanks Colette, yes I intend to start blogging much more often. Appreciate your wishes. Loved one of your pieces on your etsy site. I pinned it on my pintrest site. xo

Carol said...

An amazing man! I'll explore his journals now. A happy new year to you Judy, and here's to more blogging in the future!

Lisa said...

I am fond of Dan's book too..
Interestingly, a few years ago I went to our neighbors home requesting they sign a petition and I had grabbed Dan's book to carry with me to use as a surface to place the petition. My neighbor told me she knew Dan's sister well and was so sickened over his death that she had been unable to look at the book...they had lived in Africa for many years... Needless to say I felt terrible for my choice of book that day!

Ro Bruhn said...

I've seen Dan's journals before Judy, they are a great inspiration. Glad to see you blogging again. Happy new Year to you and your family. xo

Seth said...

So wonderful to see you in blogland Judy. Dan Eldon, his journals and his story have all been very inspirational to me. I was lucky enough to see his journals in person in an exhibition several years back in NYC.

Tiglizzyclone said...

Nice to see you blogging. Thank you for the introduction (for me)to Dan Eldon.

sharon smith said...

Am glad to read something from you - always so interesting. Happy New Year to you, Susan

Samantha Marshall said...

Happy New Year!Dan Eldon's story and journals are absolutely fascinating.