31 December 2009



Sometimes when working on pieces


























{Sold thankyou}
I need to change tack a bit





Especially if the subject matter is heavy
























So I decided to make some blank books








First repairing old books





Some I decided to add a mix of vintage papers to





{Sold thank you}
Whilst in others I used thick all purpose papers







I don't think those who do not make book realise







The length of time it takes to cut, hand tear, size correctly







Measure, stab holes and bind all the signatures together







To make sure every signature sits right within the book and to not make some stitches too loose or too tight






Leslie and I skyped together alot in the last few days
for sometimes my eye can be too perfectionist and when
stitches look odd to me I think I must be doing something wrong





{Sold Thank you}
So I called my trusted friend who is great at making books and together we made a book using a 4 needle coptic bind which assures me that all the stitches
look perfect






I have been making books in various forms since my kids were babies.
I was telling Leslie that I remember when a friend gave me a book devoted to bookbinding of fabric books, many years ago, that there was a 4 needle coptic bound book in there.





I recall saying to myself at the time, I would never do that but low and behold here we were making books with that method. I needed to perfect it for I have come up with a new technique for binding art in a book form that needed the coptic bind to work in unison with this new method.





Anyway folks I put the little tintype book in my ETSY store but since I am heading on my journey with my kids, I wont list the others till I return.

So if you need some supplies, head over now.






























Wishing everyone of you the healthiest and happiest of New Years.
It has been a difficult year so I for one look forward to the New Year, willing it to
be an easy one.




xo

24 comments:

Jo Archer said...

Wishing you love, health and happiness in the new year Judy.

Catherine Witherell said...

I like those books you've shown here. I've been making two books just now and (no one knows I like to make some too once on a while. It has taken quite a while. Each one has 4 signatures with 9 or 10 pages in each. I have to sew then in now and I have been putting it off. I'm going to do the stitch you show here with the thread in lines on the outside.

I like the cover of the one with my last name in an English version "Wetherell". Maybe you called me here? Maybe not but I came anyway. Hope you have a nice trip with your kids. Bye.

Mary said...

These are wonderful!!

Wishing you a blessed New Year!!

studioJudith said...

Judy ... .

All the very best for a joyous -
healthy - creative 2010 !

Judith

Kim said...

Love your tintype book Judy! I too have been madly sewing books of late! Must be the new year! Enjoy your trip with the kids! Have a blast and can't wait to see what you get up to in the new year!

Studio Sylvia said...

Wishing you every blessing, creative and otherwise, in 2010 Judy.
Your books are inspiring, as your work always is.

Four Seasons in a Life said...

I for one have yet to make my own book as there are plans to do so. Never the less, I can appreciate and understand the care and love that goes into making one.

Wishing you a wonderful time off and all the very best to you and your family for 2010.

Egmont

lisa_crofts said...

These books look amazing Judy and I bound a couple of books so I know how challenging they are to make and fun. I will have to give the copic stitch a go. Happy Holidays.

neva gagliano said...

i have made one or two books, with guidance, and oh my, the fine motor \attention to every detail thing is rattling! these are beautiful...indeed.

so, off you go to begin a joyous new DECADE with the magical glow of the blue moon. all the best, and it will be better than every. neva

Leslie said...

Your books are beautiful Judy! I love that little tin-type book and the old papers you've woven into others.

Who knew I'd ever be able to share knowledge with you!

xo

Judy Wise said...

Beautiful work, Judy, particularly the tintype book for that lovely image. Now I have to go hunt up instructions for the 4 needle coptic. It sounds complicated!!

Seth said...

Always amazed and inspired by your creations. These books are no exception. Enjoy the time with your kids and a happy and healthy 2010 to you!

Riki Schumacher said...

Love the tintype book Judy. Hope next year is an easier one for you. Take care. Riki

Cherie said...

Oooo a sad little face about to bring messages of delight ... your inspiration never ceases bring a new meaning. Happy Happy decade to you too Gorgeous Judy. xo

Gypsy Purple said...

Wishing you a happy and blessed 2010!!!!. Gypsy Purple--Chamara

6p00d83451fffe69e2 said...

Adorable little books and so perfect! But I know wh at what you mean about perfectionism! Verry nice work..

JudyK

Tiglizzyclone said...

Now that looks interesting, book making! Hope you have a good year in 2010!

Anne, Bulles dorées said...

this is beautiful Judy !!
I wish you an happy New Year !

Welcome to Yaya Chique! said...

Hey girlfriend!

As always...beautiful!!! Wishing you and your kiddo's a fun-filled journey and a loving and profitable 2010. Call me when you get back!

Love & big smooches...deb

JoAnnA Pierotti said...

Wow Judy, I guess I didn't realize you were going to list this book before you left...darn, but I'll wait for the next one. I really love how you are creating these with the tintypes.

Happy 2010 -

Kristine Campbell said...

Hi Judy-
Just saw the Australian New Year's celebration on cnn. Happy New Year to you and many thanks for all the visual wonders you show us on this blog. The best to you in 2010.
k

Harnett-Hargrove said...

I do like the fluffy page books. With new paper when you crumple and then smooth each page the book gets fuller and older looking... a 'prop' trick.
-J

Jen Crossley said...

The books look awesome Judy I to have been making some etched front cover books .I hope you have a wonderful New Year it has been a hard 2009 thats for sure so I hope 2010 is a wonderful year for us all

femminismo said...

Lovely, wonderful books! I have some old books with great covers, so thanks for the inspiration.