13 April 2009

FOUND...



I spent 4 hours in one of the book shops I frequent regularly as I needed lots of titles for pieces.


Rarely do I manage to stumble on a "beauty" like this.






It must have been on the shelves for ages, poor book



No cover







No spine








Very inconspicuous, it was.





I am not sure why I picked it up but then I saw the back of it and got an inkling something nice may be inside








When I saw the date of publication, my heart started to race.

These books are a rare find here, otherwise if one finds them they are very costly.



I hoped...





And as I opened the inside

I saw this and knew it was a good one!








Yes, the print had leaked on to the page



What lay underneath was going to be a great engraving









Ahh the thrill of finding it was immense







What was more bizarre was seeing the piece of paper, the bookmark within the book, not visible from the front...








Then I turned to the page with the bookmark,







Thrill turned to into questioning.




Is someone trying to tell me something?



Ok so I know I have been travelling a bit lately...





Oh well, whatever it means will surely become apparent soon enough.



Did anyone else have some interesting finds over this long weekend???


I would love to hear about it.


Speaking of Italy (book published in Florence)



I am going to be teaching there in May next year, in Cortona, with Stacey's Company and Michael's teaching the week after.
The last time I was there is when I was with this mob and met Michael for the first time...


We booked it the week of the Arezzo Flea markets, the best ever, nearly the whole town brings out their wares.
Should be an amazing trip - yaah!

xo

21 comments:

LostLuggage said...

wow....what an amazing find INDEED!

Lynn said...

Ilook forward to what You the wandering Jewess does with this terrific find. I am impressed with what you KNOW about these book finds and know what to look for. You teach me much.

This Jewess wandered this weekend in the land of her ancestors (land close to home) basking in the love of elderly (age 90) aunt and uncle, cousins, cousins children and their children for Passover. It was precious precious time and love and traditions shared. I did blog about it. ;-)

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Wow! What a gorgeous find! Incredible engravings!!

Kim said...

What a wonderful find Judy the engravings are beautiful. Love the little something extra someone left in. How interesting are these little pieces that pop into our lives? Cortona will be so lovely, I bet you can't wait. Just you make sure you come back home though and tell us all about it:)

kecia said...

cool book! i can hear you gasping as the pages unfolded to you. doesn finding an Easter egg count as a good find?

Carmi said...

Judy...things just seem to find you.
Serendipity should be your middle name!
Carmi

Ro Bruhn said...

I think you must be so in tune with the universe Judy, that you're mind knows when to go out and search, fabulous find. Great news about Italy too.

Beth said...

Incredible...you never know when a treasure is just waiting to be found....hmmm what did I find? A lovely escape to the beach with my wonderful husband...and an Anahata Katkin Correspondence set...lovely! Beth

Seth said...

Quite the find. Definitely meant to be!!

somethingsublime said...

Ah, you lucky, lucky girl! Love that ghost of an image...

Renee Troy said...

So glad to know you visited me and now here I am which I've been several times.
There are no mistakes in life. This book was meant to be in your talented hands stirring your imagination to create a new life for it.
Italy, how I dream of going there one day. Perhaps soon....

Paula said...

What a great find.

I found a lovely skirt at the second hand store with a nice border design that had brass beads sewn on. Took it apart and now it lives on as skirts for my primitive dolls, yet to be named. Any suggestions?

susannassketchbook said...

That IS a fabulous find! I can just imagine your reaction when you opened it. You know, the faded page that the ink engraving has bled through reminds me of the worn surfaces of old gravestones.

And I would love to take a course with you in Italy. Karen often mentions how inspired she is in that country, especially when taking an artmaking course.

Sarah said...

Thats just uncanny. How it found you is the universe speaking to you.

BloggingQueen said...

Oh, that's just too marvelous. Wandering Jewess. Unbelievable.

As for the weekend, we just had a little playdate. The Boy's friend came over for a couple of hours... all our family is off in a different, sundrenched land. Except for the one who lives in another, raindrenched land, but she's coming back to the sun.

Pearl Maple said...

Looks like this beautiful old book has been wandering for a while looking for a special artist who can help make it shine again.

Redness said...

I gasped aloud when I saw the spine ... you're blessed Judy ... but you already know that ;)
Easter was the bliss of four generations ;) I need a lemon to take the smile off my face.

Leslie said...

What a treasure! You surely are blessed, or maybe you're just open to experience things like this. After all, you pulled off the shelf . . .

xo

robyn said...

Lucky find! The back of it looks yummy. I love it when that happens!

Word verification...grabless...a message to me perhaps to stop buying more and more books.

A bird in the hand said...

I studied Alfieri as part of my university degree... what a find!
Oh, and should you need an Italian interpreter/valet/handmaiden whatever, I am available. hehehe!

Beth Bricker said...

The back of the book is wonderful and then to open it and find these superb engravings,then the spine bookmark and it's subtle message. I love when I find something that just clicks and I want to sit and admire it.
I found such a thing today, a wonderful vintage parasol, colorful and beautiful.Where has this been? Who's hands last carried this to shade them from the sun?
Beth Bricker