30 March 2009

The magic of Bali





I have to admit I was terrified to go to Bali.






After “The Disaster” as the locals there call it, the Bali bombings, it was not exactly high on my agenda nor the droves of Aussies who used to frequent it.






However all worries abated once in Ubud, sharing some very special times with Mr Michael.






We had a wonderful time shopping – the shopping is amazing.





I hunted down the antique stores and made it my mission to hunt down items for an art piece I decided to do.







Looking for the objects to help with the piece was intriguing and it took me to area’s I probably would otherwise not have gone to - off the beaten track, as it were.







Along the way, learning the history of myths and legends





Traditions





And beliefs





Fuelled my fire to seek more





Learn more



Understand



Along the way discovering






that in a 3rd world country such as this




That the people are very relaxed



Life moves at a very different place




I don’t think I heard a child cry





They are so content – looked after by siblings, elderly grandparents





And others in their village compounds





Throw away all those child rearing books – just spend some time in Bali





We saw squalor and hardship





I didn’t want to just move through the touristy places







I wanted to meet the people






Meet artisans of which Bali has aplenty






My wish to pursue the artefact that will tell a new art piece led Stacie and I to different places not necessarily on the tour guide




It’s all about the people for me





Their way of life





I wanted to feel the pulse of Bali





Experience the culture






Taste the food (whilst being very cautious not to get the dreaded Bali belly)







Nothing better for me than to go into a local market

where I was looked upon by eyes wondering why I am there




Loving being there with Michael, seeing things through his eyes


Sharing the magic, together.



To be continued…

xo

29 comments:

molly said...

These pictures are breathtaking. Now I want to go to Bali too!

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure, I look forward to the next installment....

Dina said...

Beautiful post!

I wonder how their parenting differs from ours.....

Did you notice any major differences?

kelsey said...

Bali is a very beautiful place! It's close to us and cheap to fly/stay there but I've only been once...can't say why???

Wonderful photo's Judy and I do remember how the children always seemed to be happy and smiling too. Glad you got to have some time again with your man. ;-)

azirca said...

Beautiful photos, what a magical place.

Sam Marshall said...

Beautiful photos, Judy.

dede warren said...

What an amazing trip Judy, I can only imagine all that you saw. How special to be able to explore it with Michael. The photos are beautiful, thanks for sharing them!

Lynn said...

Whoa! What a spot. What a trip/opportunity...thanks for sharing your wonderful photos Judy...they tell an amazing story...could see more if you decide to post more at a later time...Thank you.

Sue said...

amazing photos Judy, thanks for sharing. What a wonderful experience.

Megan Warren said...

what an awesome trip - beautiful photos. Can't wait to see what you have created! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

gina armfield said...

looks like you had a blissful time there - very soulful and inspiring

kecia said...

you said it Judy - experiencing the culture is what it is all about. I love to travel "behind the scenes" as i like to call it. away from the touristy type of stuff. i want to see the real stuff! the pictues are great and loved seeing your perspective. my fav pic is the little child with his back to you. can't wait to hear more.
kecia

Judy Wise said...

Dreamy. I've always wanted to go there.

Seth said...

Looks like a magical and educational adventure. Looking forward to seeing/hearing more.

Ro Bruhn said...

Fabulous photos Judy, I can see why you said I would love it. Living so close it's one place I haven't been. I love the gardens and statues. I look forward to seeing what your special project will be.

Kim said...

I think I would have been nervous about the trip too, but it looks just beautiful and I'm glad to hear it lived up to it's promised potential. You look like it was a wonderful time and I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and some time with that special someone. All work and no play makes for a dull time of it, well at least a less fun one! Great pics too!

Lost Aussie said...

Great photos that tell a wonderful story of your stay there. thanks for sharing!

Jen Crossley said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time Judy
Jen

Stacey Steimle said...

amazing!

Shelly said...

Gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing. How true that you cannot see a country unless you move among its people. Looks like you had an amazing experience.
:-)
Shelly

Karen Cole said...

Boy oh boy. I would LOVE to see what you bought. You are the queen of shoppers.

So where would you rather shop, New York or Bali?

Great photos, BTW.

Audrey said...

Thanks for sharing your little adventure.
Hugs

Cynjon said...

It looks like a wonderful experience in the most literal sense of the word.

Judith said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time.

Janny said...

Thank you for sharing this, my roots are from Java. I have been to Bali also;o)

Margaret said...

What a superb post, you've captured the colour and spirit so well with your photo's, I can't wait to what these images inspire you to do next. M

Jo Horswill said...

Hi Judy,
Your images are beautiful...it's been along time since I was in Bali...these pics make me want to go back :)

FLYING SOLO said...

Beautiful pictures, I'd love to go to Bali (one day). My brother has a jewelry business in Bali...He imports. From here it's a schlep! But I know it is worth it...
Love your people photos....

Karen

MB Shaw said...

Your pictures are wonderful and really give me an idea of the flavor and mood of the country. I love the immersion thing, where you really get to *know* the people and the land. I get a true sense of that from your photos and writing.
Missed you at Artfest....

Audrey said...

Flights are real cheap from Perth atm. We are off to Bali at the end of September and I'm like you were before you went as it's my first time. After seeing you pics it made me want to go so when the chance came up we took it,,,, I can't wait to see the place, the temples, country side ect oh and not to mention the shopping :0) You'll have to let me know where to shop.
Hugs