24 September 2008

To LA and beyond...

It seems like such a long time ago that this trip to the USA was organized and like so many occasions in life – it is flashing by so quickly.


Since my adventure to Artfest this year, I have been working non-stop. So I decided that prior to Art and Soul I would relax and have a small break with my daughter.

We shopped and spent 2 days in Disneyland and did some more shopping. My friends Kristen and Ruth have been the most amazing hosts. I love spending time with them and feel as though I have known them for many more years than we have actually known each other. Their hospitality is endless and it is never a problem for them to shlepp me around LA finding supplies that I need.



Many moons ago I picked up a copy of Somerset Studio, so it was a very special today today to go to the Stampington offices and see how everything works there. Kristen was ill, so Ruth and I headed there and met up with Jenny Doh. I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the place from her and it was a fascinating experience.



{Jenny, Ruth and I}


Again I felt very special as I was treated to a lovely lunch with Jenny and Ruth. What a powerhouse Jenny is! It was just so fascinating to see other artists work in real life. Some of the journals I saw were absolutely magnificent. It is just so different when one views another artists work in reality rather than photographic images.



A habit I seemed to have formed when opening up each new issue of Somerset each time is to go straight to “The Accidental Crafter” column. The Accidental Crafter, aka Bruce Adams cracks me up every time I read his column. There is something about his dry wit that appeals to me.

So imagine my surprise when on tour to find myself face to face with Bruce.

"OMG", I said,
"You are The Accidental Crafter, I love your column".
I am sure he wondered who this nutty Aussie with a bizarre accent was.
I just had to capture the moment here…






It was also a pleasant surprise to meet Kellene, the Publisher of Stampington and hear how the company started.






Whilst Jenny was busy for a moment Ruth and I started mucking around with the camera like 2 naughty little girls playing games in Jenny’s office. Ruth is a riot and we had such a great time.





The sharing of such great moments, the meeting of new and old friends is making this trip so interesting and today was exceptional. Thanks Jenny for making me feel so very welcome today, your hospitality amidst your very hectic schedule was certainly appreciated.

xo

26 comments:

Sam Marshall said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic break!

Sue said...

it's looking like you're having a wonderful time.

identityseven said...

I'm so jealous!!! I want to come out and play with you guys too :) When are you coming out near Michigan?

xox
Jen

Sharon said...

Judy, Judy, what a thrill to go out with Ruth and crash Jennys office. I'm just saying...I want to do that!

Jenny Doh said...

Judy, Thank you for coming to visit and sharing your amazing work. It was great fun visiting with you and Ruth. Look forward to lots of good things ahead. Warmly, Jenny

jude said...

hey thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. nice to see you with familiar faces like Ruth and jenny. such a small world and the internet makes it even closer.
jude

Cindy Dean said...

Looks like you had a great time! Looking forward to meeting you in Portland!!

Leslie said...

I'm glad that you're having such a good time! I can't wait to see you next week!

xo

Deryn Mentock said...

Ah ha! So, there you are! I'm sure you're having a terrific time with all those artsy people. Wish we could have been there at the same time!

Sandra Evertson said...

How wonderful to see these photos! It looks like you had such a great time! I hope we get to see some of your Amazing work in the mags soon!
Sandra Evertson

Jacky said...

Have a great trip Judy, you will treasure those moments spent with your lovely daughter, hi to Michael.
Jacky

Karen Cole said...

HEY!!!

Save some fun for me, will ya?

Looks like you are having a wonderful time. Hugs to Ruth and Kristen, please.

Do you have a phone # here??????

grrl+dog said...

what a treat to be face to face with all that yumminess...

Ro Bruhn said...

Looks like you're having a great time Judy, wish you could have been with Jen and I here with Keith, we had a ball. He said to say Hi too. Enjoy your stay and good luck with Art and Soul, you'll be a knock out.

Jen Crossley said...

Glad your having a wonderful time
Jen
PS Keith says hi

Lynn said...

How exciting! Does your daughter live in LA or did she go on this trip with you? Disneyland, and no photos from there? What did you think of it?

Sue McGettigan said...

How fun! If you're stopping back through LA Judy give me a shout (email).
Sue, Aussie in LA

Megan P said...

What a great treat to have with your daughter Judy. You certainly are a hardworking gal. Hope you love the teaching experience at art and soul. Look forward to hearing about the rest of the journey!Mxo

janie said...

Hi,Judy, because you inspire me, I nominated you for the "I love your blog" award. I got mine from Karen at squarepegpeople.typepad.com. You can pick yours up at my blog - www.sacredartimages.blogspot.com on this page-
http://sacredartimages.blogspot.com/2008/09/award-i-love-your-blog.html

Susan Tuttle said...

How much fun you had!!!... and you got to meet Bruce!

Susan
xo

Sarah said...

I am green with envy, your LA Adventures sounds wonderful. Hope you have a great time.

rivergardenstudio said...

Wow! What an incredible story! Your blog is filled with so much energy and creativity. Thank you for sharing...Roxanne

redness said...

Thrilled to bits for you, you deserve all this and more. xo

kecia said...

Judy, glad you had such a nice time in LA. bet you guys had some fun adventures and hope you found lots of fun goodies to take back home with home. loved your class and learning from you - thanks for sharing your wonderful techniques. love your accent!

Pearl Maple said...

Ohhh I am a big fan of Bruce too ! The magazine has grown in leaps and bounds over the last few years and always great to see the new people they discover to share with us all.

Have a great trip.

Chris said...

Okay, you are SO lucky, and so were THEY!
I love it that you're visiting so many places and people while you're here. I just took a workshop from Keith LoBue, so all the Aussies seem to be here at once! I hope Art and Soul was a Beauty Fest!