07 July 2008

“DOLL” A Visual Anthology™ Part 3


The School image here is a not quite completed one {spoke about that in my last post}





However, the colour choices matched the Schools colours.







As was the choice of paper to accompany it.









To accompany images related to our male dolls life were vintage texts relating to his hobbies –







or sporting obsessions.


South Africans are almost as obsessed with sport as us Aussies. (I know I will get into trouble for that line)



Our male ‘doll’ was a former ping pong champion.






Doll was a Pharmacist.










This became quite a complex page – hinged to fit all the images in.





The use of pages from an Antique pharmacist ledger were used.











I bought this a couple of years ago






I love the handwriting in this particular one.


I just had to insert this old bottle too.









He loves Cricket





Finding this old image was great as it appeared just at the right time.





And naturally Golf too.





Again vintage text pages were used






Taking these bottom plates off about 20 golf clubs






is a chore and a half but they are a great addition to a golf page.








The beach played a major role in the ‘dolls’ lives.





As he was probably studying Chemistry at this time






I used a different Pharmacists ledger here






Plus the addition of a vintage prescription – a small detail but they all add up.


From memory our dolls were introduced at the beach - hence the insertion of 'the royal suitor' text here.







If not the beaches were a major social scene at the time and many of the photos of doll and doll were on a beach scene.








Another beach scene...








In this image of mum and the 3 kids








I used an image from an old school book which we read here whilst I was a little girl








I loved that the position of the 3 kids in the book was similar to the image of the positioning of the 3 kids with Doll.









The translation of our doll name means to be happy so what better text to use on their wedding page than this one





There was so much memorabilia to use




The mica heart surrounding this Honeymoon photo, at the beach naturally,

also made reference to the natural beauty of the beaches.







Our dolls had kept receipts from their honeymoon plus I just had to insert 'the grammar of love' here - that inexplicable thing we call love.





The key to room 707 replicated here





It is a real lesson to all to keep things relating to important occasions in our lives



Well, at least it made my job that much easier




Some of the texts I used just had me laughing - the one relating to the setting up of a home had me going for quite a while.






Some of the detailed photos taken show the many layers used to make a page –








mimicking the many layers that go into making a life together.





I just loved this image – I am a softy for embossing.






So to the reaction:





Yes indeed.


"Doll' was handed over to alot of emotion and tears - good ones though.




Yesterday, one of my readers alerted me to the comment made by my client in the first post of ‘Doll’.


Thanks Seth, I did not realise it had come in.

To quote...

"I am the client, and Judy, you are the most special human being.

Every South African wants to meet you, and this book has brought tears to everyones eyes.

My parents have spent the past week sobbing, every time they open the book, they find something else.

There is so much there, so much detail, and so much happiness.

You are amazing.

We love you so much.


July 4, 2008 3:45 PM






Most often the books are handed over while the family are all together.






In this case it was given at a Friday Sabbath dinner. I understand that the blessing over the wine and bread were delayed somewhat as my client handed the dolls, the book, together with some words at a seemingly appropriate moment.


I always wish I were a fly on the wall when the recipients see it.





In this case the reaction was recorded so yaah! – I get to see it.

I have received emails from our dolls and the reactions bring me so much joy and satisfaction that despite endless hours of painstaking work – they like it.

I will not share that reaction here – its too private.


The joy that these Visual Anthologies™ bring to me is really priceless.

To know that I have in some small way documented part of a family’s history for many generations is so gratifying.


As I often say, to every life, there is a story to tell.



Well, it has taken 2 hours to blog this post - I am off for some coffee and ofcourse


some Mama Kaz banana bread.


xox

42 comments:

Cindy Dean said...

Beautiful!

Karen Cole said...

I can't believe I'm only number 2!!!

I just can't get over the amount of detail you instill in these books, Judy. You have to be the most patient person in the world.

Unscrewing the golf guard??? Holy smokes!!

You should be videotaping the reactions of the people for whom you are creating such magic.....at least your own.

It must surely be a magical moment for everyone.

I am in awe of your precision and creative process.

miss you, my aussie friend

Jen Crossley said...

What a awesome book,there reactions brought goosebumps to me.
What a special person you are Im on awe.We all appreciate what a huge job it is to put on your blog and I say Thank you for sharing your art with us all.
Jen

azirca said...

Absolutely stunning work Judy, it bought tears to my eyes.

You must feel so on top of the world knowing that your beautiful work brings so much heartfelt joy and emotion to the recipients of your 'visual anthologies'. That feeling must be amazing, knowing that you have preserved lifelong memories for generations to come. Such wonderful emotions are precious, if only you could bottle them, now that would be magic!
I can see it now, ornate bottles of 'Magical Judy Vibes', they would fly off the shelves!
xo

Teresa said...

It must make you feel wonderful to touch people's hearts like you do.

Thank you for taking the time (2 hours-yikes!) to share the process with us.

Linda Manning Findley said...

Another total winner ..... such beautiful work and such a treasure ... Linda F

MizCarla said...

awww the photo of the girl doll's reaction is priceless--well done girl!!!

oxos

Studio Panorama said...

Absolutely AMAZING!!!! Thank you for sharing these intimate details of your fabulous works.

Bev

Karen Owen said...

As always, your attention to detail is amazing! Gorgeous work!

Carmi said...

Judy,
You could write a book about every book you have crafted.
This one is truely incredible!
Wish I could flip through the pages myself.

Judy Wise said...

Bless you Judy. It brought tears to my eyes too. Your work will ripple down through time. It is precious beyond words.

seth said...

Your work is so meaningful Judy and what you do touches so many people. As I am looking at each photo and reading the description of the meaning of every little detail, I have such a sense of awe and contentment. What you are giving is truly a gift! And after 2hours of posting, I hope you got a whole loaf of the banana bread!!

Debbi Baker said...

Hi Judy - I've just spent ages catching up on your blog and all of the incredible work you have been doing. It is sounding a bit repetitious but I really have to agree with everyone else - you are inspirational (and exhausting!!). I never cease to be amazed at your capacity for detail and meaning. It's awesome.

Night Owl Designs said...

Wow, another masterpiece! Love all the little details.

Heather, paperfollies.typepad.com said...

i just welled up with so many tears at that first photo of the couple...again, what an amazing gift you have given them. thank you for sharing the details of the love and laughter that you put into this book...it brings hope into my heart and fills me up with a peace and inspiration. xo

stephanie t. said...

Ok, I've been choked-up and teary eyed after viewing nearly every piece you've made. But THIS is so, SO close to home...I've been bawling my eyes out. After seeing the real time, real life faces of the dolls, it was more than I could hold back.

My mother told me once that I should never worry about feeling alone when she is gone...because being 'who we are' I will have family in every city, in every country on earth. All I needed to do was to look in their faces.

You make me...make 'us'...proud.

Leslie said...

Judy, your well just never runs dry. You are such an inspiration for me. I love this. Of course I do. I love everything you do. I love being around you. I always hope I might glean some bits of creative juice from just being around you, or seeing what you make, or hearing how and why you made it.

Thanks.

xo

Sharon said...

I have visited these pages several times and now I'm here to say thank you for sharing such a beautiful work or art. It is more than I could take in with one visit. Amazing yes

Lynn said...

Judy, these books, pages, momentos, creations, are magnificent. I am filled with emotion myself looking at them and wondering about the couple in the story, their friends, their lives.
And seeing their faces as they see those very pages is a gift to behold. What treasures you create.
Unbelievably beautiful and special beyond belief. Oh how I admire you and your art work.

Marie Antionette said...

There is no words to express,how I feel about your book and your work.The details,color ,and wow the meaning.I will be visiting here more offten.Marie Antionette

Anonymous said...

Just had to say thank you so much for sharing the magic you created. Just marvelous. A treasure.
Nancy

Robyn said...

I'm totally bowled over by what you do. Amazing!

Susan Tuttle said...

I so enjoyed my tour through this incredible anthology. And the tearful reactions are priceless - made me want to grab a tissue.

Hope you are well my friend.

Susan
xo

Ruth Rae said...

stunning work! BRAVO!
its the romance behind this piece that I adore! I think you need to start sharing how much your art work weights :)

I miss you!(would you mind a room mate at art and soul... I have not gotten a room and its all booked)
we need to catch up!

Ro Bruhn said...

Well done Judy, you've done it again. What a magnificent epic of special peoples lives. How rewarding to see the reactions on the books handing over. I know the amount of work and effort you put into these fabulous anthologies and the stress you go through to get them completed on time. They really are family heirlooms to be handed down through the generations.
Ro
xo

Maylie said...

I love your creations then I give an award on my blog: http://maylie.over-blog.com/article-21165232.html

shirleymcc said...

Amazing work, stunningly beautiful and haunting in the detail.
thank you for sharing this with us!
shirley

Bronwyn said...

Every time I see your work, a strange feeling comes over me, difficult to explain - a feeling of awe, and wonder and warmth and poignance and emotion. You have such a special gift and talent, these visual anthologies are special beyond words.....you give so much of yourself in every single page and every single detail. I am so glad to have had the opportunity to meet you. Thank you for the beauty and spirit that you are providing to keep Jewish history and memories alive.

jo said...

Judy, you have done it again!
Just amazing!!!

Even though there is hours and hours (and then some more hours!!!) of work involved in such a piece, reactions of the lucky recipient would make it so very worthwhile. What a sense of accomplishment and pride you must feel.

Thankyou for sharing each amazing journey you go on as you create each beautiful work of art.
Love,
Jo

Anonymous said...

once again confirmed: this gift that you have been given, is pure alchemy. to breathe life into these objects, as you bring them together with such meaning, whispering in their layers. it's one thing to create a collage "for arts sake", but its quite another to create something for someone else that is able to personify so much personal meaning behind it: you are channeling gracein to every single panel you create, and that is truly something to witness (the proof of that for you is echoed in each of our individual reactions to your work: it hits us right between the eyes (or better said, between the ribs ;)

"Good on you",
literally, Judy. :)

lisa mitchell
(barcelona, spain)

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Beautiful with Tears in my eyes!

Ping Pong is the best
exercise for the brain.

When I seen Carlton Hotel,
I thought of the Artsy Hotel
in NY called The Carlton Arms.

God Bless You and Yours
and Your Creative Life!!!

laurel said...

Judy, just wanted to let you know I think you are an amazing artist and I've nominated you for Brillante Weblog award. It's just a way to say that you are an inspiration.

http://laurelenglehardt.blogspot.com/2008/07/weblog-award.html

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

You touch my heart so much with your gift..
Sending warm thoughts, Nita

lindaharre said...

Will Wonders Ever Cease??????? You are one amazing human being! Such an artist with such sensitivity.....Oh my!!!!I love the entire thing....every little detail:D You are really something else girl:D Hugs, Linda

grrl+dog said...

This is a real story, I love it, not only the richness you give to your work, but the details...the golf clubs, wow... and also to see their reaction. very cool stuff.

Audrey said...

Everytime I visit your blog Judy, I am amazed at your work and the love you put into every piece. I have great admiration for you, how you touch others lives in such an important way.
Sending love
Audrey

Sandra Evertson said...

Simply Breathtaking!
The look on the clients faces as it is handed over says it all!
Sandra Evertson

Sandra Evertson said...

P.S.
I hope its ok that I add you to my Creative Places list on my blog?!
Sandra Evertson

Night Owl Designs said...

Hi Judy, Just letting you know I've given you a couple of awards on my blog. Happy creating and thanks for the inspiration! Sephi

Gillian :O) said...

Judy, I am always left with a feeling of Artistic Awe, when I visit your blog and see your ART, the way your pour so much feeling and heart into each and every piece thrills me!


Bless You Judy for the way you touch peoples lives with your ART ♥

Sue said...

Wow!

I often read your blog and I am always blown-away by the fantastic attention to detail and creativity in your work. You are an inspiration!

I've just noticed there is going to be an Art & Soul event in Canada.....can we have one in England too please? ;-)

kathywas said...

What fantastic photos! Posting them to the site in black & white makes them even more powerful. I know that you must be overwhelmed with emotion in seeing how much your artwork touches others. That is what I love so much about your work. Not only are you extremely talented, but your artwork always expresses so much love and history into every piece. That's what being a true artist is all about.