03 June 2008

"The brown vinyl bag" happenings...

After having just completed a rather complex art piece I had some time to start collating the mass of correspondence I found in the “Brown Vinyl Bag” project.

{If you are new to this blog you can find the details of it here and here}.

Mainly precipitated by a lecture I gave today to a charity group, the collating spurred me on to have some letters translated. They were written in Romanian, I thought, whilst other cards and inscriptions on the backs of photos were written in Hungarian.

A friend and former work colleague’s partner is Romanian so last evening I went over to his place to see if I could glean any information on Willy’s life.

At least I was correct, it was Romanian.

The letters were interesting and sad at the same time. I also spoke to and received information from the man who was meant to be the executor of the estate – he turned out to be the man who visits people in hospital. So he was visiting and then befriended Willy’s wife.

Anyway the letters and then his information don’t add up. In fact, I knew more about Willy than he.

So I will have to investigate some more but as always something astounding happened at the end of him translating the letters – another coincidence, we think. We will know by the weekend hopefully.


It's a small world, after all...




Whilst at my lecture today, I asked if anyone could translate the Hungarian words written on the back of some found photos of Holocaust Child victims and other found documents.


See the photos here. The address of the photogrpahic studio is 6 Korut Circle, Budapest.





One lady in the room came up very quietly to me at the end of the lecture and told me that she lived 2 houses down from the photography studio at NO. 8.


She remembered the studio!


During the Holocaust her family’s house became a house where 10 Jewish families crammed in and lived. She is Jewish and survived by hiding. But thats another story.

Amazing!


***************************************************************************
Are you reading this???

Judi D
and
Stephanie T

Could you please email me - link on the side.
I have not got your details and want to make contact - thanks

22 comments:

Sue said...

your stories are always amazing and I can't wait to see what happens next with this one.

Ro Bruhn said...

Gosh Judy, you are certainly meant to tell these stories, these events happen for a reason. I know it's a small world but that's like finding a needle in a haystack. Look forward to the next installment. I hope your talk was a success.
Ro
xo

gina armfield said...

this could be a novel I tell ya! Ah the excitement - I can feel that this is going to be a magical story - can't wait for the next chapter - and uh ... there are no coincidences in my humble opinion - you are on a path...

Judy Wise said...

I too feel that your life is open to something subterranean and magical. This post gave me goose bumps. You make the past live again; it is really quite stunning.

Steph said...

More, more, more, please ! Thanks for sharing this ...

Jen said...

mmmm. got goose bumps from the last paragraph. xoxo

BloggingQueen said...

Holy cow -- not only did she live right down the street, but she was one of the people who survived by hiding. See, this is why they say truth is stranger than fiction.

Awaiting the next post with bated breath...

Jen Crossley said...

You are a born story teller Judy,we are lucky to have such a person as you to do them justice.
Hope you talk went well
Jen

Redness said...

The synchronicity surrounding you is stupendous Judy, the secrets and stories you're unlocking are breathtaking ... Thank YOU for sharing your unfolding, mission!!xo

Leslie said...

I always, always leave here with goosebumps. The way events unfold in your life is fascinating . . . magical even. Yes, it seems that this is what you are meant to do.

xo

Kristen Robinson said...

Yet more proof of the gift that lies within you and the necessity of what you are doing and sharing with the world!
XOX
Kristen

Kari said...

How uncanny to read this, my brother is currently getting some Hungarian papers translated from my father's estate - his name was Karoly (a not uncommon name). I was named after him.

I shall follow your story, it is fascinating.

Hugs,
kari x

rochambeau said...

The Hungarian lady seeing that photo! And it being her world is simply amazing! I agree with Ro that in telling these stories that you do, it is a reminder of how WE ARE ALL intertwined on this earth!

Beautiful Post Red Velvet!
xo
Constance

Dale said...

How special to meet the people who lived next door to the studio there! Fabulous

JeriAnn said...

I have long admired your work and am enthralled by your journey back in time to discover and represent the life of Willy. Are you familiar with the National Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, Massachusetts? They are very helpful and could perhaps aid you in your research.

I will keep tuning in to see what emerges from the brown vinyl bag. Thank you so much for your work in keeping our Jewish heritage alive. And have a good Shavuot!

Pearl Maple said...

That little brown bag sure has one amazing story to tell. Can't wait for the next installment.

Lynn said...

How touching to unfold all these stories of people past and present.
I too love coming here and being reminded of what I am not to forget.

jo said...

I am looking forward to reading all about what you do with this project. This little brown suitcase could not have ended up in more caring hands. There are very few that could do justice to this story, and only you that could do it in such an artistic creative way. Fate seems to step in and take you by the hand...
Love Jo xo

Karen Cole said...

So....my grandparents (mother's parents) were born in what is now Romania and was part of Hungary years ago. Too bad you don't live nearby (hint, hint)....perhaps my mother could muddle through it.

Always interesting and exciting to visit with JW, I tell ya.

Anonymous said...

Hey yaya!
Just dropping by to "touch base"! Drop me a line....need some new supplies! Hugs...deb

Christie said...

That's amazing, the universe is getting the stories to the artist and things will continue to unfold as they should.

Izabella said...

amazing how small our world really is ;)

I also have a friend named Karoly he is from Budapest!
http://flickr.com/people/ckaroli/

have had you on my mind, much!! I have been so busy homeschooling my 2 little ones, I need more time in a day..my art life is suffering ;)

oh...how I am dream of sneaking in either yours or Michaels suitcase to escape to Bali...what a dreamy art retreat that would be!!

xo!!! ~Bella