26 May 2008

Art and Soul Artists!

For any of my blog readers who will be taking my 2 day “Just in Case” class in Portland, I just realised that the image of what the front of the book looks like was not there.



So here it is...





Two suggestions for fellow artists doing the class,

Look out for 4 metal corners like these (for front and back) and
Look out for something you want to use as a closure for the book.






Here I used 2 brass pieces (which I aged) soldered together but it can be any type of closure or adapted closure like I did. I couldn’t find anything satisfactory at the time so I made this one up by soldering and by drilling a hole for the chain.


Also - If you want to use mica, as I have done there is a specific bookbinding tool called a microspatula that has taken me a year to find. I use it to split mica with – its brilliant.

Not specifically for that purpose but this has now become an integral tool for me.

So here is the link from Talas which you can order online.
Talas Microspatula

Please buy the longer one and if you can get the teflon one – go for it!

21 comments:

Steph said...

Ohhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhh another beauty ! Lucky are those who will take a class with you!

rochambeau said...

You will be the best teacher Judy!! What a cool class you will teach. Hope you are having a creative day!
xo
Constance

Cindy Dean said...

I won't be taking this class, but I will be taking the other one. Thanks for the tip on the tool though...I am always up for new tools! LOL

Karen Owen said...

I am so excited that I will be in the class! Thanks for the tips on things to look out for.

Deryn Mentock said...

Sheesh!...I could have saved you some time on your microspatula! Lovely book. Your students will have such fun!

Nabeel said...

seems like a case, with treasure inside ... and I am sure it is treasure, that is written.

Jen Crossley said...

Your class looks amazing Im sure you will be a hit
Wish I was doing the class
Jen

Don said...

Beautiful. Love the closure!

Ursula Clamer said...

Beautiful looking book Judy, I'm sure they'll love this class with you. Ux

Carmen said...

Wow! Oh how I would love to take a class with you!!!

Amazing as usual! Where do you manage to find all of the "stuff" you put in your books? Stunning!

-Carmen

Sharon said...

Oh I love tools. If I get one do you think I will be able to come to the class? just wishing.......

Sam Marshall said...

Looks fabulous!

Heather, paperfollies.typepad.com said...

What a gorgeous book, had to remind myself that touching the computer screen wouldn't produce the right tactile results, sigh...off to sulk that I can't just be wandering about the country taking fabulous classes from clearly fabulous teachers!

Leslie said...

I am thrilled to count myself among the lucky ones who will be in this class in October. And now (thank you), I will have my microspatula in hand!

xo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new use for the microspatula! I never thought of using mine like that - and splitting mica is a pain for me. Can't wait to try it!

Judi D.

Karen Cole said...

boo hoo....no class for me....actually, I meant I have no class....no, not that either. I wish I could take your class, yeah, that's it.

Great teacher, great artist....lucky students.

katie said...

this looks like such a fun and fantastic class judy - lucky students!!
xo

susanna said...

Your books are always so amazing, Judy! Gorgeous! This one looks like a treasured book from centuries ago. Beautiful!

Kathryn and Joy said...

Beauty of a book Judy. Will it fit easily in a suitcase ?? Ha-ha!
Hugs, Joy

Anonymous said...

Hey Judy...

Do you know of any cancellations for the 2 day class? I'm desperate....

Karen Mandel
L.A.

Kristen Robinson said...

I do believe I must run off and find this tool. Love the book my friend it is brillant.
XOX
Kristen