06 July 2007

TEXTURES

The Arts of Islam:


Last night I was fortunate enough to be invited to attend a private viewing of an ehibit currently on at the Art Gallery of NSW called the Arts of Islam.

The "Khalili collection" is on loan from Dr Nasser David Khalili, an Iranian-born private collector.
Khalili’s passion is not the collection of art for the sake of its material value, but for the purpose of promoting understanding between cultures across the world, particularly areas whose cultures may be less familiar to the rest of the world.

I am passionate about illuminated manuscripts and the exhibition last night was the best I have seen to date. The Koran's on ehibit were just breathtakingly beautiful, the detail was phenominal.


The use of gold was everywhere. The box in the image above was a favourite of Ari's and mine, we could not stop looking at it. It's impossible to see here but the gold between the filigrees looked like it was spun gold.

There are no words to really describe the collection. fascinating for us was that Khalili is himself a Jew and has approximately 20,000 pieces of Islamic art from everywhere.

His message is the promotion of tolerance through the beauty of Islamic Art - how wonderful is that?

Dabbling with texture:

I called Robert to come and check the artwork I have been doing on Sam and Esther - at least panel one. I just had to make sure that "we were on the same page".

I needed to see his reaction in order to determine just how deeply I could go with my use of symbolism in this piece.

Thankfully, whilst he never imagined it would be what it has become, he was enamored.

Phew!!!

He agreed with my choice for the backing of the individual elements - sorry but I must be cryptic here - and gave me free reign to do what I liked. I just have to be very sensitive to the subject matter as I knew Esther would be viewing it regularly and needed to check with him.
Actually when he saw it and when he left, he was in tears.

He immediately understood why I have done what I have done which will be explained to you all soon. Robert has agreed to allow me to walk you through the piece as I did my last Visual Anthology - Yaah!
Here though, are a couple of images of the textural bits I have been working on within the piece.



So so so many layers of paint, fabric, text and crackle medium.

Here's a bit of a close-up.
All those hours of layering for just one element. But the fine detailing of each element to make the whole is very critical to me and my work. It gives a silent message or expression to what the piece is trying to pervay.
I must say I really loved how this one turned out all rusted and vertgres looking.
I have been very under the weather with the flu for about three days now so I am off to bed.
Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

21 comments:

Karen Cole said...

The textures are beautiful. I know how long it can take to get to that special "perfect texture" place. What is the substrate you are using so that it stays the way you want?........if I may ask.

Julie H said...

I am again, in awe. Take care this years bugs are 'mean'. Hugs. Julie

fromthepines said...

Can't wait to see more!
Cheryl

Judy said...

And again in English please Karen??????????

Rochambeau said...

Your piece looks rich and mysterious. I can see why Robert teared up. When someone puts their heart into something they do, other people can feel the hours of love and intent infused into a work. Hope you feel better when you wake up.

craftyhala said...

The color and textures are so beautiful. I look forward to seeing how it progresses.
I hope you feel better soon. Flus and SDV's (some dumb virus) are not fun.
Mahala

Karen Owen said...

Amazing textures! Your work is always stunning.

Karen

Cindy Dean said...

Beautiful.

Lissy said...

Great textures Judy :) Have a good weekend :)

kelsey said...

Wow! Love the colours of this piece, verdigris & rust together...mmmmm....my favourite!!!

Ro Bruhn said...

Ah Judy, another masterpiece in the making, your detail to texture is fantastic, I was never a fan of brown, but since I've seen your books, I see it in a whole new light. I'm excitedly awaiting the arrival of your ABRR book, I can't wait to see it.
I hope you're feeling better, this flu bug that's going around really knocks you about.
The Islamic art is beautiful, I love their attention to detail, I have a small collection of Islamic, Indian, African, Egyptian and Asian art pieces. Things I've gathered over the years purely for their own sake, not for monetary value, it's the gypsy coming out in me again.

Take care

Ro
xo

Debbi B said...

Hi Judy - Your blog is, as always, fascinating. Nowadays I only visit when I know I won't have to rush but can really savour your posts. The textured pieces are awesome and I can only imagine that if they look that good in a photo they would be incredibly tactile in real life. I'm really looking forward to seeing this work progress - so glad you are able to share it with us along the way this time!

Jen Crossley said...

Judy These Textures are just stunning I love the effects so rich in colour and texture.
Hope you are feeling better
Jen

Ev said...

I wanna touch it!!

This looks fantastic and what a validation on the work so far to have Robert react that way.

Susan Tuttle said...

I enjoyed your post on the exhibit and the idea of promoting understanding and connection through art--very true and powerful.

Your background for your first panel is breathtaking--the textures are incredible!!! Truly!!

Susan
xo

azirca said...

These are really fantastic Judy. I bet that you have lost count as to how many layers of paint you are up to now ;) They have such a wonderful warmth and depth to them, very beautiful.
Hope that you feel better soon, it's no fun being sick.
Take care.

Jo Wholohan said...

Yummmmmmm Judy, the texture looks fantastic!!! Loving it :))

Megan Pickwell said...

a glorious texture Judy - wonderful use and layering for a magnificent effect - Am looking forward to seeing the exhibition.
Meganoxo

Megan said...

"His message is the promotion of tolerance through the beauty of Islamic Art - how wonderful is that?"

That is truly wonderful Judy. If only there were more people like him hey?

To say I love visiting your blog seems crass in someway and really understates what I would like to convey....you are dealing with such monumental parts of people, their very being, and you are then sharing it with us through your creations and preservations of important pieces. How marvelous will it be for the descendants down the track to hold dear the things you have done?

Your blog is the most wonderful read Judy :-)

kathywas said...

The textures that you have created in these pieces are amazing. It is obvious that you put a lot of thought, care, and love into each thing that you do. These will make stunning backgrounds for the finished artwork.

lindaharre said...

Judy.....what you accomplish with paper, paint and medium is absolutely amazing!!!!! Your attention to detail blows me away:D