09 July 2007

Almost there - I hope

SNEAK PEAK:


I have been very busy with textures, as you know, so here's one more.


I needed to back a lock with something so I took a piece of balsa wood, the thinest I could find in order to snap the ends.

I then painted it with some brown washes of paint.

Following that I added some Golden pumice gel medium - yuk - then painted over it with grey miceous oxide paint. Thankd G-d for the heat gun - what a gift that is to dry things quickly.



Then I took my lock and placed it on top - yep it looked ok to me.


Then I took my image, covered in oxidized copper foil, placed it on top and viola!!!

You'll have to wait for the other 10 steps as I don't want to give too much away. Sorry.
TREASURE GALORE :

I went over to a shop the other day that had a big sale on. They sell stunning hardware for houses, cabinets, furniture restoration etc.




Carl, the guy who owns it was sooooo generous with me and started telling me to empty out cabinets of goodies that he does not want to take with him to the next premises.

Just look at that rust - drool!

This is the type of stuff that was in the cabinet...

If I told you I walked away with more than a boot full, I would not be exaggerating.


Looks like pirate treasure, don't you think?



Ok, I will stop but there is soooo much more - I could definately open a shop myself and i have to go back at the end of the week so he can give me more.

Hmmmm, must have done something right along the way to get all this!
MESS:



My studio is a mess and I have even managed to spread out into the rumpus room - Michael's studio area.



There is fabric everywhere - which people are so kindly dumping on me. There's no time to sort it out yet - too busy trying to finish panel one.
Ok, the liquid nails is dry which means I have to go and continue working otherwise I will have nothing to show you all and that would not be good.
And my middle son has just walked in with 5 boys who are sleeping here tonight - just what I need when I am trying to finish this piece off.
I am feeling better now, thanks for all the good wishes.
So bye for now.

26 comments:

Jess said...

That lock piece is wonderful! I hope you do more step-by-step walk thrus in the future. Best wishes on finishing!

fromthepines said...

Awesome stuff!! I love coming to your blog.

Cheryl

Sharon said...

First of all, the little peak and seeing your process is just wonderful. But then, wow! you were in the right place at the right time. A real treasure trove to be sure.
Thanks for sharing

Ro Bruhn said...

Judy I just love what you've done with the lock and what a fabulous background for it.
Your treasures are certainly that. I found some of the hooks in the first picture in My father-in-law's shed after he died. Some of them now dangle from my necklaces.

Ro
xo

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Lara Berch. I have just launched a new website with step by step art tutorials. I was wondering if it's possible to exchange links with you. http://www.laraberch.com
Thank you very much for your time.
Sincerely
Lara

R2artstudio said...

Judy, Your textures are wonderful. Looks like they have been around for many years. I love to see and touch them in person. In fact, I'd love to watch you creating them. And I bet getting all those wonderful metal pieces, will keep you busy for a long time. They looks so interesting. Have fun, and I'll be watching for your next peek.

Marie C said...

Fabulous work Judy - love your stash too!

Cindy Dean said...

Your work is stunning. I love all the textures and layers. I am totally jealous of all the little goodies your received! What a treasure! Yes I am sure your good Karma had something to do with it!

vivian said...

Love the sneak peak, thank you so much for sharing. You are SUCH an inspiration. And yes, sure you've done more than ONE thing right to earn this boot full of gorgeous stuff! Good on you. Your work is amazing.

Lissy said...

interesting piece you are creating there :)

that pile of treasures must have made your day :)

Karen Cole said...

Judy, Judy, Judy,

Incredible texture ,beautifully designed piece, treasures (wow, wow, wow) and I think we should have a messy studio contest.

Ruth Rae said...

Oh my! I want to come and play with your hardware pile in your lovely mess!

but your on your own with your fabric pile! fabric has to be the worst to deal with! and its always so messy no matter what you do with it! :)

I can not wait to see what you come up with!

Julie H said...

Ok I confess, I don't know whether it is love or lust. I just know that I hve to confess in public. What, Michael???? Nah! The loot from the store - what amazing goodies. Love the rust, love the shine and the shapes.

Oh and I am so looking forward to seeing the finished product, the texture on these sneak peaks is amazing.

cusp said...

Came here via Azirca --- what a find. I love the darkness in your work and is that an image of the Queen or her sister, Princess Margaret on the lock ? Bizarre if it is but maybe I'm mistaken.

Thanks for all the great links you've provided too. Wish I'd known about Bibliodyssey when I was doing research for my latest painting.

I'll be back.

Jen Crossley said...

OH Judy your work is amazing I love the colour and texture .
OMG I cant get close enough to the computer screen Im dribbling over all those goodies you bought!!!
way to shop girl!!!
Jen

kelsey said...

Your texture beneath the lock looks just amazing! Love that Golden stuff....esp the Micaceous Iron Oxide!

What a haul you have there Judy, those rusty bits & pieces and more are just fantastic.

Yes, do get back to that dried liquid nails....we wait with anticipation for our next instalment! lol

Elaine Kerr said...

Haahhh...that's quite the goldmine...rust mine, whatever. And your textures are fabulous. Just packed up my faves: micaceous iron oxide, coarse stainless steel & burnt umber for a 4-day bricollage workshop. Taking (yay!), not giving it. Interesting to think of what this yet un-made work will be!??

Hello, Ro up there on the page....thought maybe you & Judy were sharing the wealth of gold hooks!

Gypsy Purple said...

Oh wow...this is a delicious post...I`m behind and catching up on posts
Can`t wait to see this finished!!!!
Love all the treasures you scored....you lucky girl!!!

gilfling said...

haha the chaos of the working artist!! I do love the lock - the image is just so poignant even without knowing who it is or the story behind their eyes. I do love those textures. Thanks so much for sharing the process.

Tricia Scott said...

wow judy, the textures you create are just works of art all by themselves! you are amazing!
and i bet you were just over the moon with all that wonderful hardware-can't wait to see what you create. :)

LINDSAY said...

I love the patina on the lock piece! Even the small sneek peek really conveys that there is so much history behind this piece.

gilfling said...

Judy - thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment on my blog. I hadn't realised the image on the locket was Esther although I had read her incredible story a few posts back. I am just in awe of the work you do and the meaning that is given to it for and by the people which it celebrates and commemorates. I am so much looking forward to seeing the progression of this piece.

Debby Harriettha said...

Judy your lock piece is so awesome!! WOW!!! Thanks for sharing. Such good fortune on your treasures. One can only imagine what you will create with these beauties.

lindaharre said...

Love the piece with the portrait on top! WOW, just wonderful! and....your TREASURE TROVE!!! OMG I am green with envy:D Look at all that STUFF! Gorgeous STUFF, Metal STUFF, Curlie Q STUFF.....you must be living right girl:D Can't wait to see what comes of it....hugs, Linda

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Its like a pirates treasure chest!! WOWWWWWW!!
And your creation is simply stunning. Looking forward to seeing lots more of your work :0)

Gisele said...

Wow...lucky you coming across all that treasure, you certainly were in the right place at the right time! If you decide to put some up for sale on Ebay/Etsy, do please let me know, would love to get my hands on some :)