10 May 2007

Part 3 "Of elephants and dreams"...

Blue Bazaar:

I received a nice surprise today via email. Blue Bazaar’s newsletter arrived and I am humbled and honoured to say that I was the Blue Bazaar Gallery Spotlight this week.
I put some of the images of the Elephant Book in the BB gallery. I wasn’t quite sure if it would go down well there but it did so it was such a lovely surprise. Thanks Lu.

By the way Blue Bazaar is a great place to shop for product locally and their site, administrator, forum, design team and everyone there are all so lovely. Ev and Marie are members there too and Coby, is a big contributor/design team member if I am not mistaken. BB, as it is known, whilst mainly a scrapbooking site has a very artistic bent which is why I like it.

Ok so here we go with round 3.

The page below is when Karen and Gina are on the boat going to their destination. Not sure that the photo shows up that well as the mica reflects from the camera. I decided to do the page somewhat like a wall-hanging and cut through the fabric, inserting a very very very old and rusty (isn’t it amazing) hand-made nail through it.


So Gina explained to me that in their hut, they had a wall-hanging with a similar nail-like object, rusted and all. Can you believe it? The three beads or what looks like teeth are there to represent the elephants tusks.

But why did I put three?

Well quite apart from the aesthetic rule of 3’s, in Judaism if one does or says anything 3 times, then it means it is a fact, or true.
So 3 for the truth that Gina organized the trip for Karen’s pleasure.
3 for the fact that their love for one another is true.
3 for the fact that Karen is one of the most truthful people I know – she tells it like it is – I love that in a person.
See 3 things related to the number 3.



Yuki was Karen's Elephant

and...

Boon-mar was Gina's.
"And her dream did come true."

That was Karen's dream... to ride an elephant - how great is it when we can actually fulfill our dreams.



This photo is backed on a frame made from oxidised copper mesh - its a little hard to see here. The transparency which was also soldered is backed by a postcard.

Some of the book covers are so thick sometimes and attaching them to the signatures can be difficult too. But praise be Nina because she taught us how to make tabs out of copper mesh - wow are they strong, they hold almost anything but with some flexability, thanks Nina -you are such a genius, you know (she probably has no idea I am writing about her so much - hehehehehe).
Ok, the page below became the largest of the pages.



This transparency is placed on top of a map of where the elephant camp was. The old quill pen and other objects just seemed to fit the bill. There were lots of lush green trees as they travelled along their journey hence the skeleton leaf and appropriate button.


Again the photo on the left was matted on an oxidised copper mesh frame which has handmade marbled paper behind it (from Volcano Arts). Hidden from view here is the copper basket to mimick the one in the photo – you can see it in the original post photo. As I didn’t have any copper jump rings, which seem to be a rarity, I made and smashed my own – can’t really believe I did that. Just love this photo. What is written is part of the Rudyard Kipling story explained a bit further down. (Gosh this is so exhausting).

To the right of this photo is the elephant fabric (I ended up driving for an hour just to get this fabric) which is actually a pocket. It houses the name place-cards from Karen’s party before they left for Thailand. A girls gotta have lots of places in a book like this to house all the memorabilia.


The metal piece above the elephant is something I found when we went “junking” in Cortona Italy almost this time last year. It’s so funny when you find all these bits and pieces or treasures – one never knows just when and how they will be used. It just seemed to be appropriate for this page and I left it as is because I felt it was so beautiful in its own right.


These are the 6 elephants that are part of the place where they did the trek. Again I did not know there were only six. There goes that instinct again.

Ok, now smell !!! MMMMMMMMM

This page was collaged with beeswax.
Smells very yummy.

The Thai writing on the back comes from the brochure explaining how the elephants came to be in the possession of the owners who run the trek and their history – sometimes very sad – but now they are much loved and better off. The background paper, Gina gave me from the trip. The page is done on a vintage book cover as are lots of the pages.


"Just So Stories" by Rudyard Kipling is the base of this and the following page. In it, is the story called the elephants child and it is the story of just how the elephant got his long trunk. Michael put me on to it ( he is such a sweetie) and you will see in a few pages where I have put some text pertinent to photo’s.
The photo of Karen was a soft-gel medium transfer – it took forever to get all the paper of it once transferred - but the results were pleasing. The bit of material hanging from the top right-hand corner has five antique silver heishi's – Gina told me this is one of Karen’s lucky numbers.


So Gina got eight silver heishi's attached to her page.
Well there is not much more to go but really this is quite an exhaustive process. The next post will have the last of the pages in it.
Just to answer one of the comments. Yep, Karen has recieved this already, that is why I am posting this. I would never post before the recipient recieves it.
Gosh all of your commetns are so good for the ego. I really cannot express adequately how much it means to me that you guys let me know what you think, really!
So kisses and hugs to you all.
xox
P.S. Something is up with this blogger cos the spacing is all crazy - sorry, but it's out of my hands.

21 comments:

deMeng said...

You are amazing, bebe. Don't want to hear anymore of that talk about not considering yourself a fine artist. you most definitely are.

smooches
xo
M

Karen Cole said...

Yes, I love the smell of beeswax as well. It is also quite satisfying to rub with your hands to get rid of the occasional "blume" and shine it up.

When were your friends at the Four Seasons? My friends Karen and Barry were there last December and rode the same elephants!!

Dawnie said...

Im so enjoying stepping through these pages with you Judy.
A real treat!
Thanks so much for sharing your work and the insight has me HOOKED.

I look forward to the next chapter

Dawnie

Steph said...

All I can say is WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !

Anonymous said...

Judy, I'm so in awe of your work. Each exquisite detail is so perfect. Just looking at the pages is impressive enough but knowing the meaning behind each special addition makes it so much more meaningful. I would so love to see this book in person. The photos are wonderful but touching and smelling ...
Thank you so much for allowing us to share this treasure.

Anne

Anonymous said...

A friend who knows how I love the "Nina" book sent me this link to your blog. I love your book , but I have to say I love that you did this for your friends even more. It's truly a gift of love and I know they'll never forget your efforts here. That said - it's wayyyyy cool lol! I bet it was a treat to make ( in between reverse-engineering every page ). It's so much fun to make a book!

Sharon Manning said...

As I said before this is so departed from the style of books you have done to date, but I will say today that it is so YOU! Each page is a work of art and working closely with you on previous projects I know the passion you put in and the "intuitiveness" you seem to have so that a connection is made between the client and the finished product.
This is truly amazing and Michael is right you are a fine artist!
I think you just got to the top of the mountatin with your art and that can only mean satisfaction.
Fantastic.

Sharon Manning said...

Forgot to add.....

Just opened my BB newsletter (didn't have time yesterday) and congrats on the BB Gallery Spotlight!
I'm sure it will be the first of many publications of this wonderful book.
Cheers
xxx

Megan Pickwell said...

Absolutely an amazing artwork.
Not just one, each page is a seperate artwork in it's own right.
The artist must be very pleased and the recipients elated or should that be elephanated!
Mxx

Ro Bruhn said...

I still haven't closed my mouth since the last lot of photos Judy, it just gets better, if that's possible. I noticed the copper hose clamps that you used to hold the brush in place, these are the same as the one I put in your necklace, it's amazing the multiple uses things can have.
You realize now we all have great expectations for our book exchange, I can't wait to see what you do with mine.
Ro
xo

jo said...

This just keeps getting better and better and I love how you explain the symbology of each page and the amazing coincidences that have come about. You must really be in tune with your clients.
And yes, Michael is 100% correct... You are a fine artist! There is no doubt about that.
Jo

Debbi said...

Hi Judy,
I've just seen your book on the BB Gallery...it's amazingly beautiful.
It is truly the work of a skilled technician and an amazing artist. And the heart in the art....wow...it's there and palpable, and that's what makes this VA so beautiful.

Well done. I'd love to see more of your work...All the best, debbi weiss.

Marie C said...

Absolutely fabulous Judy - your friends are friends are lucky ladies indeed - will you make one for yourself now - can't think how you can bear to give it away!!!

Megan said...

Oh gosh Judy, you blow me away each and every time I pop into your blog....how cool you were the artist in the spotlight at BB too!!

Have an awesome weekend :-)
Megan xx

kelsey said...

Judy I'm really enjoying the foray into these elephant pages, you have put so much detail in each and every page and isn't it great that our serendipitous finds seem just perfect, right when we need them! Looking forward to the next post. Judy = artist!

Bronwyn said...

Your pages are magnificent, it is a true work of art. I am completely blown away. Your friends are blessed to recieve a gift like this

nina said...

oh.my.GOD, judy,i am just blown away by all of this incredible work! it makes me pine for the days when i could spend time working on things that i want to work on, not work for things that are obligations, things that matter not to me. blech. this is absolutely amazing, breathtaking, haunting. it will be a mindblower to share the week with you in the bush outside of perth next may....missing you....xoxo

Jo Wholohan said...

Wow Judy!!!!!! This book is amazing, just busting to get in a class with nina next year :))

Thanks for the comment on my blog!!!

xxx

Janine said...

Judy, what can I say that hasn't already been said. This book is totally awesome.... the girls must be over the moon! Look forward to seeing more of your inspiring work!

Ev said...

I know I've said it before but this book is amazing. Thank you for sharing and please thank Karen and Gina for allowing us to take a tiny peek into their relationship and love of this majestic animal.

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色