09 March 2007


Where does one start?
It has been an exhausting but exhilarating few days.
The Artistic Journey retreat was just great. Michael and I stayed with Sharon and Steve for the night and we so enjoyed relaxing with them, having a great dinner and just catching up. Their property is so gorgeous. Now I know why the post takes so long to get to Sharon – it’s so far away but so restful and quiet – we loved it.
It was great to see where Sharon lives and works and I am glad she took my advice and loves her Birke's as much as I do!
Meeting up with Lissy the next day for coffee was sooooo nice.

Lissy and I met a few years ago at a retreat and I am so glad to have been able to reconnect in person and introduce her to Michael. She is such a nice and down to earth person. Lissy, hope the move went ok!







The Retreat
Nina’s “pocket full of dreams” book class was so inspirational. I love it when I attend a workshop and come out having learned so many new techniques – I can’t even begin to explain how in awe I am of Nina’s art and her talent – I am really lost for words. Both of Lesley’s classes were great and again I finally learned some great transfer techniques and fabric book making. The exhaustion really set in by the end of day 3 but if I thought I was tired then there was so much more to come…

Meeting some great ladies
I always meet a few really exceptional people at these retreats and this one was no exception. Megan, Ursula and Coby were the three that I really connected with. They were so nice to spend time with, to laugh with and have some much needed down time with after classes.


Home
Off to Sydney and play host to Nina, Lesley and naturally Michael. Day 1 was spending on the harbour aboard “Poppy” my brother’s awesome boat.



Took my friend Nicky along for some much needed rest and relaxation. The weather held out and a day on Sydney Harbour is always so dreamy. It was especially romantic having Michael there. It was a perfect day and just watching Nina Lesley and Michael enjoy Sydney from the water was such a pleasure for me. We drank, we ate, we laughed and relaxed – what can I say it was just a great day.



I was so happy I could provide that opportunity for them to show off my wonderful home – there’s no where like Sydney!!!

On Wednesday, I took them all to the Rocks and then Newtown to shop in some of the shops I frequent for my art. Buttons, beads fabrics were the go – you can imagine Lesley in the huge button shop. Newtown is a very artsy area and they all just loved walking the streets, soaking up yet another side of Sydney. But we had to cut it short so we could race back home and get ready for the Opera that night. I won’t spoil the surprise by showing all the photo’s, better to leave that for their blogs. We saw la Traviata, it was awesome. None of us had been to an opera before so it was very special to share the experience with them all. We had drinks on the harbour before, took lots of photos, as you do! I won’t elaborate any further, I have no doubt that Nina and Lesley’s descriptions will be far better than mine.
Thursday, it was off to do the Bondi to Bronte walk then lunch in Paddington and naturally some retail therapy. All in all we had some great dining experiences, lots of Thai food, mixes of Asian Japanese and Indian food. Wine and beer were enjoyed by all.




All in all it was just very special for me to play lost to Michael’s friends. I adored their company and the very unique times we got to share together – it will certainly be a time I will always remember and treasure forever. Aside from the fact they are such inspirational artists, they are, indeed, such exceptional people.
It was an honour and a privilege to host them all!


9 comments:

Sharon Manning said...

Judy, I can't tell you how much having you over here meant to both Steve and myself. It was very special to show you my little piece of peacful paradise. It was a shame the weather wasn't a little warmer! By back is much better thanks, although still a little sore.
I'm glad you got to spend some time with Nina and Lesley, it looks like you all had a fabulous time.
Chat soon......Take Care and enjoy the next few weeks.
Cheers

Ursula Clamer said...

Looks like you guys have had a fabulous time. I really enjoyed meeting you, and look forward to our art swaps. Ux

Lissy said...

It was lovely to catch up with you Judy and meet Michael :) I am SO jealous of you going to the retreat...oh well....looks like you have had a fab time in Sydney too :)

And the move has gone OK ...Ben and I did it in a couple of days when the weather was 42'C - beautiful!! now I am in a BIG MESS!!

Megan said...

Hi Judy,

What a lovely post to read...sounds like everything went so beautifully.

And is that your brother's boat behind you all in the photo lol?! Very fancy!!

Megan xx

Megan Pickwell said...

You certainly showed them some of Sydneys best.
Next time you will have to venture over the bridge!
Looking forward to a catch up soon.
Megan

Marie C said...

Sounds like a fab time in Sydney - will have to check out Newtown too next time I'm there - it's been so long!
PS M is so cute/cool - lucky you! ;)LOL

Ro Bruhn said...

Hi Judy
It was nice to meet you at the retreat, we all had a fabulous time, I've always collected junk and it was great to learn from Michael how to put it to use.
You certainly showed Nina and Lesley a good time from the look of the photos. Steve and I travelled to the airport in the shuttle bus with them both, and they were telling us about their up coming adventure with you, and hoping the weather would hold out, it looks like it did.
Enjoy the rest of Michael's stay.
Take care
Ro

Karen Cole said...

Hi there Judy,

It looks like you are having the time of your life! The workshops sound like they must have been wonderful. Any chance you will post some photos of the work that you did?

We are still in Telluride. Unfortunately, we have to head home early. Bob has had some health problems and needs to get some testing done that can't be accomplished here.

The skiing has been awesome, though. We had 30 inches last week and this week has been warm and sunny. Sunday we are going dogsledding into the back country. We are told the dogs love it.

Hope you and Michael enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Love Karen

Coby said...

Judy, meeting you at the retreat was an absolute pleasure. You have such a beautiful soul and a heart of gold.

How wonderful that you were able to share your home town with Michael, Lesly and Nina. It sounds like you all had a ball.

love Coby